What if I told you that you have a 70% chance of getting prostate cancer? Prostate cancer is one of the most talked about health related topic in the world. The death rate might not be as high as we think but the number can be quite alarming and the sad truth is, most men don’t even know if they have it or not. Well that’s about to change dear readers. This article aims to highlight facts, causes, symptoms and ways to treat prostate cancer.
The prostate is an exocrine gland of the male reproductive system that’s found under the bladder, right in front of your rectum. The prostate is mainly responsible for the control of urine. The cancer, also known as “andenocarinoma” is slow in progress that 80% of men will die without even knowing that they have prostate cancer.
- Prostate cancer affects only men and its main targets are Blacks and Hispanics
- Over 100,000 men are diagnosed every year
- 1 out of 5 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during their lifetime
- Some of the affected men may never notice early symptoms
- Fortunately many diagnosed men do not die from prostate cancer
- One urinates more often
- One might wake up at night often to urinate
- Difficulty to start urinating
- One might find it hard to keep urinating once he starts
- Blood in urine
- Painful urination
- Painful ejaculation (less common)
- Hard to achieve or maintain erection (less common)
When above symptoms are noticed and not dealt with, they develop into the following:
- Spine, pelvic or rib pain
- Pain in femur
- Weakness in legs
- Urinary and fecal leakage
AGE: Older men have higher risks. It’s rare under the age of 45 and very common after 50.
GENETICS: It’s highly possible that prostate cancer is transferrable through birth but this phenomenon is common among the black community.
STD’s: Men who have had gonorrhea before have a higher chance of developing this disease.
There is always a silver lining in every cloud. Luckily for us, it is treatable.
- Watchful waiting and checkups at hospitals, where your PSA blood level will be monitored regularly.
- Surgical removal of the prostate
- Radioactive seeds will be planted into your prostate
- Conformal Radiotherapy: It minimizes healthy tissues exposure.
NB: If prostate cancer is not checked ut may develop into:
- Kidney Problems
- Bone Fracture
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Urine and Fecal Leakage
- High Blood Pressure
Author: Akwesi Osei
An avid reader and writer who has written articles for HypeNationGh, LoudsoundGh and akwesiosei.wordpress.com.
Currently the blogger and owner of The Health Bro